Meet Ester Ford, founder of Dinki Human, a sustainable clothes brand for kids and babies. They created a special ‘Earth Leopard‘ print and 10% of the proceeds will be donated to TRAID to support our work to create more sustainable production and consumption. We really respect Dinki Human’s ethos which influences everything from design to packaging. We invited Ester to talk about what inspired her to set up an ethical label.
Dinki Human was born not long after my daughter in 2016. Having spent my pre-baby career in fashion and worked my way up to management level, I had learnt the tools of the trade. My new role as mother made me crave flexibility and a better work/life balance. I left my job to carve out a new career as mother and business owner, to design a life I loved.
Dinki Human is a gender-neutral, organic and ethically manufactured kidswear brand. I design all the prints in my home studio on the South Coast of the UK working closely with a small team of pattern cutters to ensure great fit and comfort. Garments are designed to last with design features like turn up cuffs to lengthen a pair of leggings.
I believe we have a responsibility to take care of our planet for the future of our children. We use organic cotton, non-toxic inks and dyes, recycled and plastic-free packaging, and our Pre-Loved Initiative is designed to ensure our products avoid landfill. The brand’s supply chain is transparent and our ethical standards policies ensure everyone involved in making a Dinki Human product has been treated fairly.
We’re over the moon to have partnered up with TRAID and are donating 10% of proceeds from every item sold in our new Earth Leopard print story to support the brilliant work they do. Your Dinki Human will be able to wear this print with pride knowing it has contributed to a fantastic cause.
We are whole-heartedly committed to staying true to our core values and designing and manufacturing with integrity and respect for all people and the planet. Our values underpin everything we do and our brand is; Sustainable, Natural and Fair
- We use GOTS certified organic cotton
- We don’t use any man-made fabrics because we don’t want to contribute to the pollution of our oceans through micro-plastics
- We only use GNA or OEKO-TEX certified dyes and printing inks
- Collections are continuous and non-seasonal. We don’t resort to heavy discounting and sales to shift stock. We don’t undervalue the labour that went in to making the product. We are not fast-fashion
- We use plastic-free packaging. All paper used is fsc-certified and our swing tags are made from recycled cotton t-shirts
- Our Pre-Loved Initiative supports our customers in extending the life cycle of their products
- The range is inclusive and gender-neutral. We don’t believe in conforming to gender stereotypes and believe every Dinki Human can be whoever they want to be. We want our Dinki Tribe to feel happy, safe, joyful and powerful
- Every supplier we work with complies with our ethical standards policy. This ensures workers are paid a living wage, working conditions are safe and hygienic, and that child labour, forced labour, discrimination and inhumane treatment is condemned throughout the Dinki Human supply chain
- We don’t use any animal products. We are cruelty-free